North Coast Tutoring Services engaged Brian Durdle, a Baker Hostetler lobbyist, in our efforts to make this happen. He is tremendous at building relationships and maneuvering through the political arena. We are grateful for his wisdom and efforts in accomplishing the scholarship increases.
In addition to North Coast Tutoring Services, Galvin Therapy Center, Cleveland Clinic Autism Center and Steps Autism Center supported our lobbying efforts. After we started our effort we gained momentum and eventually were joined by other forces such as School Choice Ohio.
Senator Bacon is a champion of the special needs scholarships and we greatly appreciate all of his continued support. We also need to express our gratitude to Governor Kasich, Speaker Rosenberger and Senate President Keith Faber. Without their support of Senator Bacon’s efforts the increase would not have been approved.
As of July 1, 2015, all Autism Scholarship awards are now $27,000 per year per child. New award amounts for the Jon Peterson Scholarship were just announced and they are as follows:
- Category 1: $7,447 Speech and language only
- Category 2: $9,826 Specific learning disability, cognitive disability or OHI-minor
- Category 3: $15,333 Hearing impaired or emotional disturbance
- Category 4: $18,489 Vision impaired or OHI-major
- Category 5: $22,949 Orthopedic impairment or multi-handicapped
- Category 6: $27,000 Autism, traumatic brain injuring or hearing & vision impaired
*Scholarship amounts are subject to change at any time at the discretion of the Ohio Department of Education. Check the ODE website for the most accurate scholarship amounts.
North Coast Tutoring Services is an approved education service provider for both the Autism Scholarship Program and the Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship Program. For more information on these scholarships, please visit the following website:
- Autism Scholarship Program — http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Other-Resources/Scholarships/Autism-Scholarship-Program
- Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship Program — http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Other-Resources/Scholarships/Special-Needs-Scholarship