Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship Program
Apply for the Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship Program for Ohio students.
North Coast Tutoring Services has been approved by the State of Ohio as a provider for the Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship Program (JPSN). Under the scholarship, qualified students may receive up to $27,000 annually for services outlined in their Individual Education Plan (IEP).
Specialized Services provided by NCTS:
- Tutoring for students with special needs
- Help families apply for the Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship Program
- Understand requirements and limitations of the JPSN
- Develop an individual plan for each student based on their IEP
- Help families select specially trained staff to tutor their student(s)
- Prepare required reports for school districts
Established by the Ohio General Assembly in January 2013, the Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship Program provides funds to parents of qualified special education children. It provides the opportunity for parents to choose education providers for the child’s IEP other than the child’s public school district of residence. The scholarship funds are used only to pay for services outlines on the child’s IEP.
Scholarships are awarded based upon the child’s special education category:
|1||Speech and Language Only||$7,578|
|2||Specific Learning Disability, Cognitive Disability or OHI-minor||$10,005|
|3||Hearing Impaired or Emotional Disturbance||$15,622|
|4||Vision Impaired of OHI-major||$18,841|
|5||Orthopedic Impairment or Multi-handicapped||$23,390|
|6||Autism, Traumatic Brain Injury, or Hearing and Vision Impaired||$27,000|
To qualify for funding through the JPSN, a family must meet these requirements:
- The child must have a current Individual Education Plan (IEP) with his/her school district
- The child must be of school age (grade K – age 18)
- The child must not be attending a public or charter school (pre-graduation).
- The family must select an approved JPSN provider for services, who applies on the family’s behalf – like North Coast Tutoring Services.
Please note that a student receiving services under another Ohio Department of Education scholarship cannot also receive services under the Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship program.
There are two enrollment periods:
|Application Period||Effective Scholarship Dates|
|February 1st – April 15th||Full-Year Scholarship:
July 1st of the same year to June 30th
|October 1st – November 15th||Half-Year Scholarship:
January 1st of the following year to June 30th
Click here to visit the
Ohio Department of Education’s website
to learn more about the
Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship program.
“My daughter receives the Jon Peterson Scholarship, and North Coast guides us each step of the way and provides helpful information for us. North Coast really takes the time to match what the student needs with what the tutor can provide, and if something doesn’t work out, North Coast is always willing to make adjustments. I really believe my daughter is more successful in school because of the services we receive through North Coast.”
— Nancy, Chardon