I think it is wonderful to see our community providing more activities for children with special needs and their families. Awareness is important and can lead to big changes. I am delighted to present this Family Fun Day article and I hope it will lead to more similar events in the future.
Cuyahoga County Library – Sensory Storytimes & Yoga
During the summer, the Cuyahoga County Public Library system will present a variety of sensory activities designed for children with special needs and their families. These free activities not only allow children to learn in their own unique way, but allow them and their parents to mingle with others who share their compassion and concerns.
Sensory Storytimes are designed for children who are developmental at a preschool learning level, as well as children with special needs and their families. Each storytime session will feature many visual aids and incorporate multi-sensory learning. Families are encouraged to stay after the storytime sessions to mingle and socialize with other families.
Bay Village Branch – Saturdays, June 13th, July 11th & August 15th at 10:30 a.m.
Fairview Park Branch – Saturdays, June 27th & July 25th at 10:30 a.m.
Independence Branch – Tuesdays, June 2nd, July 7th & August 4th at 7:00 p.m.
Parma Branch – Saturdays, June 27th & July 25th at 11:00 a.m.
Sensory Yoga is for children in grades 1 – 5 with special needs. The experienced instructor has worked with students who experience sensory and developmental issues. The class is designed to promote focus and relaxation. Parents must sign a release form for their child.
Parma Branch – Saturday, July 18th at 2:00 p.m.
- See above for specific dates and times.
- These activities are presented free of charge. However, registration is required. (Go to http://www.cuyahogalibrary.org/Events.aspx and search for the event at your preferred branch, then register.)
- Visit http://www.cuyahogalibrary.org/Branches.aspx for the addresses of the branches.
- For questions about the events, contact Youth Services at (216) 749-9354. You can also call the branches directly.
- Remember…registration is required for these events! Register early to reserve a space!
- If you have a great time at your first session, consider taking a drive to the next one. Bay Village, Fairview Park, and Parma are not that far away from each other. Make it an adventure for your child!
- If it’s possible, participate in the storytime or yoga class with your child. Be there to encourage him/her. It will make your child feel more relaxed and confident.
- If your child really enjoyed one of the stories, consider borrowing the book from the library. Take it home and read it together. Help your child identify the book title, the author, the illustrators, the characters, and the setting.
- Take notes during the yoga class of techniques that your child responded to, like deep breathing. Yoga is beneficial for all ages. Try some of the techniques at home to help calm down yourself and your child.
- See how your child responds to the multi-sensory techniques in the storytime class. Multi-sensory curriculum has been proven highly effective in children and adults with learning differences. Talk to your child’s teacher about ways to incorporating multi-sensory learning into your child’s curriculum.
Call us today for more info — (440) 914-0200!