As part of the 6th Annual International Children’s Theatre Festival, Playhouse Square will present a sensory-friendly performance of one of its shows. In January, the non-profit theatre company presented its first sensory-friendly performance. During the performance, lights were left on and families were allowed to talk, get up and move around the theatre. While these changes may seem minor, they make a tremendous difference for children with Autism and other sensory issues.
For the theatre festival, the sensory-friendly performance will be of their Australian show, Kaput. Reminiscent of the silent movie era, Kaput is a slapstick comedy show about a clumsy repairman. This performance is presented for individuals and families who would otherwise be unable to attend a show in a traditional theatrical setting.
As a special treat, the Downtown Kiwanis Club is helping offset the cost of the performance. Discounted tickets ($7.50 instead of $15) must be purchased through Playhouse Square directly. Individuals and families are welcome to stay after the performance for the festival’s other special events, workshops, and concerts.
- The sensory-friendly performance of Kaput will be presented Saturday, May 9th at 4:00 pm.
- Thanks to the Downtown Kiwanis Club, tickets are only $7.50 a person. (The normal price is $15.) Tickets must be purchased through Sarah Yi at Playhouse Square. You can call her at (216) 640-8604, or e-mail her at Sarah.Yi@playhousesquare.org.
- Playhouse Square is located at 1501 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115. Outdoor entertainment offerings will take place on the U.S. Bank Plaza. Kaput will be presented at the Hanna Theatre.
- To purchase tickets, contact Sarah Yi at (216) 640-8604 or at Sarah.Yi@playhousesquare.org.
- For any questions about the festival, you can call Moira Beale at 216-640-8608, or visit http://childrensfestival.playhousesquare.org/index.html.
- Check out a video preview of Kaput on the festival’s website —http://childrensfestival.playhousesquare.org/.
- For more information about the festival, click here to check out yesterday’s Family Fun Day post!
Thank you, Playhouse Square, for providing us with these wonderful pictures!